15 FACTS ABOUT JOE BIDEN YOU NEVER KNEW
1. Biden used to stutter when he was younger! He didn't stop until he got to law school and got a friend to help him fix it.
2. When he was at Syracuse University College of Law, he and his first wife bought a puppy, which they named Senator.
3. He was elected as a senator when he was 29 years old, even though you have to be 30 to be a member of Congress. No laws were broken, though. He was 30 by the time he was inducted.
4. Though this is his first time running for vice president, he's no stranger to presidential races. Biden ran for president in 1988 and again this year, 2008 (now you know why his name sounded so familiar!).
5. Biden carries a good-luck charm everywhere he goes. He always likes to carry a rosary, though he says he has to replace them all the time because they tend to go missing!
6. What's his go-to meal and all-time-favorite food? Pasta!
7. Biden has never taken a drink in his life because alcoholism runs in his family.
9. On December 18, 1972, a few weeks after Biden had been elected to office, his wife and year-old daughter were killed in a car accident. His two sons, Beau and Hunter, were critically injured, but thankfully ended up making full recoveries. Biden thought about quitting his job in order to care for them, but was persuaded not to by the Senate Majority leader — Biden was then sworn into office from his son's bedside.
10. Biden has been married to his second wife, Jill Tracy Jacobs, for 30 years. His son Beau joked in his speech at the Democratic National Convention that they all married her. With Jill Jacobs, Biden had another child named Ashley. Right now he's got four grandchildren!
11. In 1988, Biden had to have brain surgery after being diagnosed with two life-threatening cranial aneurysms. Before surgery, the surgeon told him that he had a 35 to 50 percent chance of living a normal life afterwards.
12.Before becoming vice president, Biden was Delaware’s longest serving senator, serving for six terms.
13.Biden became the highest-ranking government official to endorse same-sex marriage in 2012 during an appearance on “Meet the Press.” Soon after, President Obama endorsed same-sex marriage as well.If he does decide to run for president, this would be Biden’s third try. He ran in 1987, but withdrew after he was accused of failing to credit a British politician, Neil Kinnock, for remarks he made in a speech. He also ran in 2008.
14.Biden, the son of a car salesman, apparently does not own a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am, though he told Car and Driver that he has a 1967 Corvette that the Secret Service would not let him drive.
15.A Catholic, Biden has said he finds comfort in the rosary beads he carries. "He has a rosary with him all the time and he uses it," a longtime friend told people once. "He'll never do it in front of people, though. Faith, family and character are what has enabled him to survive these incredible tragedies."