Top 20 facts about Selena Gomez! You Probably Didn't Know
1. She is an only child of her parents and was born in Grand Prairie. Texas on July 22, 1992.
2. Her parents divorced when she was 5 years old.
3. She got her elementary education from Danny Jones Middle School located in Texas.
4. She had two failed TV pilots. After being discovered by Disney Channel scouts in 2004, Gomez guest starred in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, then had a recurring role alongside Miley Cyrus on Hannah Montana. After that, she filmed two spin-off pilots that were never picked up before landing the role of Alex Russo on Wizards of Waverly Place. The third time’s a charm!
5.Gomez was raised mainly be her mom, former stage actress Mandy Dawn Teefey. The talented star says she decided she wanted to become an actress after watching Teefey get ready for stage performances.
6. Selena’s full name is Selena Marie Gomez.
7. The former Disney star was named after Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla Perez, who was shot and killed in 1995. Gomez grew up listening to Selena’s music and her father even took her to the late star’s memorial statue in Texas. The budding star also liked Jennifer Lopez’s portrayal of Selena in the 1997 biopic. After watching it at the age of 5, Gomez apparently asked her mom for a rhinestone corset!
8.Gomez launched her first fragrance, Selena, in 2012. She said: “I describe it as yummy. It’s romantic. It’s not over-bearing. Simple! My mom legitimately likes it.” The actress also carefully picked out the tall bottle and its funky top.
9. At 7 years old, Selena Gomez spent her days with Barney, the big purple dinosaur. “I was very shy when I was little,” she said in a 2008 interview. “I didn’t know what ‘camera right’ was. I didn’t know what blocking was. I learned everything from Barney.” That’s also where she met Demi Lovato.
10. Some of her nicknames include: Sel, Selly, Selenita and Conchita.
11. Gomez launched Dream Out Loud by Selena Gomez in 2010. She insisted on using eco-friendly materials and even said the “tags will all have some of my inspirational quotes on them. I’m just looking to send a good message.” You can still buy her “pretty, feminine, bohemian” styles at Kmart.
12. Her name “Selena” means Moon in Greek.
13. She has said she was bullied a lot in elementary and middle school. In an interview she said, “It makes you a stronger person to turn your cheek and go the other way.”
14. Selena Gomez is mother to six rescue dogs! Her collection includes: Willie, Wallace, Fina, Chip, Chazz, and Baylor. She actually adopted Baylor, an adorable husky mix, while on a trip to Canada with Bieber. “We went to a shelter just for fun … and we saw this adorable, adorable puppy,” she explained. “I literally felt like he said my name. So, I had to have him.”
15. Selena Gomez dated Nick Jonas in 2008, not long after he and Miley Cyrus broke up. This created some tension between the gals, if you believe the rumors. Gomez and Jonas lasted about a year before going their separate ways, and reportedly reunited briefly in 2010. Then Justin Bieber came along.
16. At 15, Gomez voiced 90 Whos in Horton Hears a Who, starring Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell. She played Carrell’s daughters in the 2008 animated flick, but never actually got to meet the actor. “It was kind of a bummer!” she said. “But at the same time, it was cool. I can see him and say ‘Hey, I played your daughter!'”
17. She earned a high school diploma through homeschooling in May 2010.
18. Selena Gomez could have joined Ashley Tisdale and Zac Efron in HSM3, but she passed. “High School Musical 3 is cute, and I think it would be a great opportunity for someone else. But I passed on it because I didn’t want to do it. I plan to take other roles in acting that are challenging for me. After Disney, I want to be taken seriously as an actress for many years,” she said in 2008.
19. Gomez spent weeks learning two different British accents for her 2011 role in Monte Carlo. The actress played Grace in the flick, a girl who gets mistaken for a socialite while vacationing in Paris. “Accent training was the hardest thing on top of learning lines,” she said.
20. Her favorite actress is Rachel McAdams.